
Well, I did buy my bike! I went for the cheapest one the shop had. It is bright pink and we bought a pink plaid child seat for Katie. I was feeling very unique until one of the other new American expats rode buy on an identical bike. Watching her, I almost ran into an older Japanese gentleman riding the same bike! Pink doesn't seem to have quite the same strong gender identification here that it does in the States.
The kids seem to be having a really smooth transition to their new school. Even the full day yesterday didn't seem to phase Laura or Katie. They loved having the extra recess and getting to eat lunch at school. Today I went to the New Parent Orientation at the school. It was alot of info and they invited representatives from about 10 women's organizations here in Kobe. I think I can be as busy as I want to be! The other moms and expat families are so friendly here! Yesterday I walked the greenbelt with 3 other American moms. Today I sat with 4 different moms at the orientation. They were a mix of Korean, American, and Japanese. Everyone is very interested in getting to know each other. Even many of the moms who are from this area are very eager to get to know the other moms at school. I guess that's true any time your children are starting a new school! Tomorrow I'm going shopping with Katie (a friend I met my first week here) and yet another new American mom. I think I can have as active a social life as I can stand while I'm here!

Friday night we sat out on Rivermall in front of the building. People bought food and drinks from the grocery store and nearby restaurants and we had an improptu party with about 15 other expat families. Apparently, it is kind of a tradition here. The kids run and play on the plaza and the parents socialize. We came in around 9:00 p.m. but the party went on until midnight! On Saturday we went with two other families to a hotel restaurant for a garden barbeque buffet. It was quite pricey, but we had a really good time.
Above: Matt and the kids in the background with Alex, Ashton and George Woodcook. Notice the grills in the center of each table. We grilled our own meat and veggies.
They also had an open bar, for an additional charge of course. It nice to be able to to take the train everywhere...no designated driver needed!

Above: Laura and George Woodcock. Matt and Laura were the only members of our party that were offered bibs!
Below: Nathan and Matt with the Bridge to Awajii in the background.


No comments:
Post a Comment