Yesterday the kids had their school interviews. Everything during the interview went fine, but afterward they had us stop at the nurse's office. She was annoyed with us because our pediatrician hadn't filled out the forms but had instead given us printouts of the info from their system. She made Matt and I copy all of the immunization info onto the appropriate form. She then insisted that Nathan and Laura needed new physicals. Apparently they need to be within 6 months of school starting and theirs will be 6 months and 20 days old by the time school starts. Unfortunately, school starts next Thursday and this is a holiday week in Japan, so finding a pediatrian to do the exam is a bit of a challenge. Matt has asked the P&G Health office for help. They aren't happy about it, since they don't do children, but we have an appointment this afternoon. Since all of the kids immunizations and tests are up to date, we're hoping it will go smoothly!
We also found out that rather than having a month of gradually increasing school days, the girls will have two half days and then start immediately attending school from 8:30 am. to 3:30 p.m., 5 days a week. I think Laura will be fine with this...I'm not sure if it will work for Katie or not. I guess we will see. If necessary, she can be a regular absentee or just stay home with me.
The school did ask me to be on the sub list for the library. I'd actually get paid! After spending so much time as a volunteer at the kids' schools, I'm not sure if I want a paid position! Of course, I can't imagine they'll need a library sub all that often. I'd still like to volunteer, but it sounds like they aren't as accepting of that here as they are in the U.S. Other than being kind of aggravated with the school (if they'd mentioned the physical issues back in March when we turned in the paperwork, it would have been so easy to have new physicals done at home!) we are all doing well.
The kids are excited about school but a little nervous. They are definitely starting to get bored, so I think school will be great once they get through the first few days! Today we're going to the 100 Yen store to get some of their school supplies. We also need to find sneakers for Nathan. We knew he needed "indoor shoes" for school but didn't realize that they had to have light colored bottoms. Of course, his are black and red! If we were at home we'd make a quick trip to Target...I guess I'll have to find the equivalent here!
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with myself once they are in school all day! I guess I'll start with Japanese lessons and regular sessions at the gym and go from there.
No comments:
Post a Comment